It has long been thought that color affects our moods, our health and even our ways of thinking. From the poet Goethe some 200 years ago to researchers today, there have been attempts to understand the influence of colors on our emotions and behavior. Color therapy is based on the theory that colors have the capacity to reduce stress, energize the body and ease pain. This therapy identifies the specific effects of each visible color in the spectrum and then uses these colors to influence mood, health and behavior. Red, for example, stimulates, excites and warms the body, while blue has a calming effect. With the help of a beam of colored light, these effects can be transferred to the human body. For instance, research has shown that 30 minutes of exposure to blue light lowers blood pressure, while red raises blood pressure. Other conditions color therapy can treat include anxieties, depression, stress, headaches and allergies.
How does color radiation work?
Special lamps filter a chosen color of the spectrum from a beam of white light. With an oscillating movement, this dot of colored light, which is set at a specific strength, illuminates the diseased areas of the body for 5-40 min. one method used in color therapy is called "color puncture". This method uses a baton shaped color lamp to illuminate the body's acupuncture points for about 1 min.
A color therapist prescribes a color or colors based on a patient's history and symptoms. The treatment involves colored fabrics and special lighting equipment. There are, however, numerous easy ways to apply the principles of color therapy to your own life.
Decorating with color
The colors of walls, furniture and decorative objects can affect the overall mood of your home and the mood of each room. When decorating your home, pay attention to sunlight. A sunless place needs warm and / or light colors to open it up. Muted tones can be given stimulating contrast with vividly colored objects-pillows, rugs, art, flowering plants. Think about lighting, warmer, softer lights may make a difference. You might need a corner where you can let go of stress; determine what colors soothe you and relieve dark thoughts. The now popular art of feng shui, the ancient Chinese approach to design, incorporates some of these principles of color therapy.
The "color me" theory
The colors you choose for your clothes and even for your car can strongly influence your outlook on life. A preference for one color over another can say much about how an individual feels. For instance, black clothes give a feeling of strength and self confidence. Drab clothes, on the other hand, may reinforce low self esteem. Similarly, a red car is exciting and daring, while pink has a relaxing effect, a good choice for evoking romance.
Extra tip : If you have poor eyesight, try this simple color exercise. To treat near sightedness, look for 1 min. at a red surface then 10 sec at a blue surface; return again for 1 min to the red surface. A far sighted person should reverse the sequence; blue-red-blue. The exercise relaxes eye muscles and improves visual acuity.
An effective treatment for sleeplessness, depression, anxiety, pain, stress, behavioral disorders and weakness during convalescence.
- Stimulating, warming, revitalizing
- The color red stimulates the heart and lungs, promotes circulation and is good for coughs, asthma and skin diseases. Red also has an invigorating effect on the nerves and promotes a strong sense of emotion, especially passion.
- Calming, cooling and relaxing
- Blue is helpful if you suffer from sleeplessness, pains, wounds or menopausal complaints. It has a regulating effect on muscles and tissue.
- Cheerful and powerful
- Mentally stimulating
- Yellow light strengthens the nerves and stimulates stomach, liver and intestinal function. It also promotes concentration
- Balancing, calming, healing
- Green is good for treating chronic illnesses and sores; it alleviates eye disorders. Green emits warmth
- Heartening and energizing
- Orange is good for depression and anxieties; it acts to stimulate and expand the heart and blood vessels, and it increases appetite.
- Inspiring and purifying
- Violet strengthens mental capabilities, expands awareness, purifies and stimulates the lymph system and spleen.