What is cold?
A viral infectious disease of the upper respiratory system (nose and throat).
Viral infection, sudden change in temperature, long exposure to a cold environment.
Running nose, frequent sneezing, feverishness, body ache, headache, nasal congestion, scratchy, sore or phlegmy throat.
- The juice of two lemons in ½ litre (2½ cups) of boiling water sweetened with honey, taken at bed time, is a very effective remedy.
- Have ginger (adrak) tea. Cut ginger into 1" – 1½ " pieces and boil with a cup of water. Give 8-10 boils. Strain, sweeten with ½ teaspoon sugar and drink hot.
- A tablespoon of carom seeds (ajwain) crushed and tied up in a muslin cloth can be used for inhalation to relieve congested/blocked nose.
- A teaspoon of cumin seeds (jeera) is added to a glass of boiling water. Strain and simmer for a few minutes. Let it cool. Drink it 1-2 times a day. If sore throat is also present, add a few small pieces of dry ginger (adrak) to the boiling water.
- Six peppercorns (sabut kali mirch) finely ground and mixed with a glass of warm water, sweetened with 5-6 batashas (a variation of sugar candy) can be taken for a few nights.
- In the case of acute cold, boil 1 tablespoon pepper powder in a cup of milk along with a pinch of turmeric (haldi) and have once daily for at least 3 days.
People probe to cold should consume guava throughout winters. This will protect them from cold throughout the year. This is because the high content of vitamin C present in the guava.