What is Asthma?
Asthma is a condition where respiratory tracks become irritated and inflamed, and produce extra mucus. Breathing becomes difficult due to blockage.
The exact cause of asthma is not very clear. However infections like flu and cold, pollution, chemical reactions, certain medicines, stress, could lead to asthma.
Tightness in your chest, coughing, wheezing, and breathlessness.
- Drink water kept overnight in a copper vessel. This water, with traces of copper in it, is believed to change one's constitutional tendency to get respiratory problems.
- Take a pinch of cinnamon (dalchini) powder mix it with a little honey and take it every night. It acts like an expectorant in asthma.
- Boil 2-3 flakes garlic (lasan) in ¼ cup of milk and give it to the patient as a cure during the early stages of asthma.
- Chew on a piece of ginger (adrak) all throughout the day to relieve asthma, coughs, cold and sore throats.
- During the attack, mustard oil (sarson ka tel) mixed with a little camphor (kapoor) should be massaged over the back. This will loosen up phlegm and ease breathing.
- Boil carom seeds (ajwain) in water and inhale the steam.
- Add a handful of drumstick leaves (sahijan) to 1 cup water. Boil. Simmer on low flame for 3-4 minutes. Cool and strain. Add salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste. Drink once or twice everyday.
- Mix ¼ teaspoon asafetida (hing), 2 teaspoons honey, ½ teaspoon juice of betel leaf (paan ka patta) and ½ teaspoon white onion juice. Have it 2-3 times a day. To take out juice from betel leaf, crush to a paste and squeeze through a clean muslin cloth. For onion juice, grate the onion and squeeze through a clean muslin cloth.
- A very effective remedy for asthma is prepared by boiling 6 cloves (laung) in 3 tablespoons of water. Take 1 teaspoon of this decoction with a little honey, thrice daily. This is a very good expectorant.
- Mix equal amounts of fresh ginger (adrak) juice, honey and pomegranate (anaar) juice. Take 1 tablespoon, 1-2 times a day.
- Figs (anjeer) are known to drain the phlegm (balgam). Take 3-4 figs, wash them well with warm water. Soak overnight in a cup of water. Eat them first thing in the morning and also drink the water. Do this for at least 2 months.
- Drinking a decoction of the seeds of amla, once or twice a day, proves very beneficial in the treatment of all respiratory disorders including asthma and bronchitis.
Diet for an asthamatic
- Avoid milk, milk products as they cause phlegm and lead to congestion in the lungs.
- Avoid citrus fruits (sour fruits), cold foods, ice-creams and deep fried food.
- Take plenty of fruits and vegetables with a high fibre content e.g. papaya, apples, watermelon.
- Avoid rice for dinner.
- Early dinner is best suited for these people. It ensures complete digestion before retirement.
- One teaspoon honey in a glass of hot water before bed time relaxes the throat by clearing accumulated phlegm in throat.
- Stay away from dusty places and avoid pets, particularly dogs.
Suggested Water Therapy for Asthamatics
First thing in the morning, heat 3-4 glasses of water to which 2-3 teaspoon salt (white rock salt) has been added. Make it as warm as you can drink. Sit on your haunches (hips) with heels on the floor. Press your navel with your thumb/finger and drink this water. Drink as much as you can—so much that it causes vomiting. Vomit out. If not, poke your finger in your throat and vomit out. Do this every morning on an empty stomach for 1-2 months. Your asthma will surely get cured. Pregnant women or breast feeding mothers should not try this.
Asthma in children
Grind 5 tulsi leaves to a fine paste. Add 1 teaspoon honey to it and give to the child every morning and evening for 3-4 weeks.