What is Anaemia?
Anaemia is a health ailment that takes place as a result of lack of red blood cells or haemoglobin in the body. Haemoglobin is a protein in your red blood cells that carries oxygen from your lungs to the rest of your body.
Deficiency of iron in the body, lack of ability on the part of body to produce red blood cells, bleeding, menstruation, pregnancy, lactation, haemolysis (destruction of red blood cells), piles, hiatus hernia, peptic ulcer.
A few anaemia symptoms include general weakness, dizziness and unconsciousness, headaches, fatigue, rapid heartbeats, shortness of breath and brittle nails.
- Have a ripe banana with one tablespoon honey everyday.
- Avoid drinking tea and coffee immediately after meals as the tannin present in these interfaces in the absorption of iron from food.
- Juice of beetroot taken 1-2 times daily is an excellent remedy for anaemia, especially for children and teenagers. You may combine apple and beetroot for the juice.
- Mix one tablespoon amla juice with a ripe mashed banana and eat 2-3 times a day.
- Soak 8-10 almonds (badaam) and one teaspoon rice overnight. Remove outer skin of almonds and grind to a fine paste. Boil with 1½ cups of milk and a pinch of turmeric powder (haldi). Sweeten with sugar and drink for a few days, once a day.
- Soak 10-12 munakkas in water overnight. In the morning remove seeds and eat. Do this for 2-3 weeks.
- Drink juice of 125 gm spinach everyday, for 2-3 weeks.
- Almonds contain copper, which along with iron and vitamins acts as a catalyst in the synthesis of blood haemoglobin. Hence consumption of almonds is a sure shot remedy for anaemia.
- Although the iron content in grapes is very little it is very easily absorbed by the human body. Research confirms that having 300 ml of grape juice daily can be very beneficial in cases of amaemia.
- Pomegranate juice is very beneficial for anaemia and improves the quality of blood. Add some powdered cinnamon (dalchini) and cloves (laung) to the juice, or cinnamon (dalchini) powder and honey.
- The seeds of watermelon are high in iron. Eating dried and peeled seeds will be highly effective for people suffering from anaemia.
Foods rich in iron are—honey, almonds, bananas, apricots (khurmani
), raisins (kishmish
), fenugreek (methi) leaves, fenugreek seeds (methi daana), lettuce or salad leaves, onions, spinach (paalak), grapes, tomatoes, carrots, gooseberry (amla), beetroots (chukander), apples, pomegranate (anaar). Have plenty of them if you are anaemic.