What is acidity?
As a part of human body functioning, during digestion, the stomach secretes acid that aids in the breakdown of food. But when the gastric glands of the stomach produce excessive amounts of such acids, it leads to an ailment known as acidity.
Wrong diet, spicy foods, some medicines, consumption of alcohol.
Acidity manifests usually, after meals, while sleeping at night, or when one exerts pressure on the intra-abdominal area.
- Stomach pain, burning, bloating, burping, vomiting and nausea.
- Formation of ulcer.
- Chew 1 clove (laung) after lunch and dinner.
- Chew a piece of black harad and an equal quantity of jiggery (gur) together. Drink a glass of water after that.
- To get relief from stomach ache due to acidity, grind ½-1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi daana) with a little water to a paste. Add this paste to a glass of buttermilk (lassi) and drink.
- Drink coconut water 3-4 times a day. Drink a glass of coconut water every few (2-3) hours for a few days in case of very severe acidity.
- Have a plateful of watermelon (tarbooz) and/or cucumber (kheera) every hour.
- Grapefruit like all other citrus fruits has an alkaline reaction in our bodies. Hence consumption of the fresh fruit or its juice is beneficial.
- Milk in combination with mangoes in the form of milk shakes, puddings or mango custard is called the ideal combination as the presence of milk supplies the protein, not present in the mango, that controls acidity.
- A glass of very cold milk with or without sugar is also very helpful